
"While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn." Luke 2:6-7
I'm amazed a little more every year at Christmas how humble and meek Jesus' birth was. God chose a young virgin girl to give Jesus birth. She was not from a family of royalty yet God found favor with her in her humble state. (Lk.1:48) She was a servant and worked with her hands. She had nothing tangible to offer God. She honored Him with her belief. Now, I would probably laugh to the angel's face, first of all....because an ANGEL was in front of me; and second because we all know how babies are born. But what faith Mary had in her God. And talk about a priviledge!? To be the mother of Jesus the Christ. You don't have a bad report card! (side note): There are so many women pregnant right now, it's ridiculous! I'm talking at least 10 people from my church (& my church is small), a few in the family and multiple friends. They are heeding the command "be fruitful and multiple". :) And I think it must be so neat to be with child at Christmas time. To experience the joy that Mary must've had.
I haven't had children yet but I feel like I'm living vicariously through several friends. I wonder if Mary went through all the things my friends are going through? The nausea, the dizziness, the sleepless nights, the back aches, the cravings, the nail & hair growth, the hot/cold flashes. I wonder if God gave her a "normal" pregnancy like we think of it today? Or did she experience some supernatural, symptom-free pregnancy? And to ride on a donkey for hours and hours to get to a town just to register and THEN go into labor in a strange city. I wonder if she was saddened when there was not room in the Bethlehem Inn. Was she sad not to be with her family? These are all the things I know I would be feeling, but I'm sure the Lord gave them both a peace.
an aside; I found this quote just now: “So do not let it surprise you, unbelieving soul, whoever you are, do not let it strike you as impossible that a virgin should give birth, and in giving birth remain a virgin. Realize that it was God who was born, and you will not be surprised at a virgin giving birth.”
- Augustine, Sermon 370.3
- Augustine, Sermon 370.3
I love the way Jesus was born. That night was silent and holy. The Savior of the world was born in a barn and placed in a manger (a modern day manger looks similar to a pig trough). How much more humble can you get? There was no big production. No trumpets were played. No royal feast held in his honor. But all was calm and bright. I also think it's important to point out the society classes who came to Him that night. Those of high "importance" to those of servanthood came to honor the newborn King. Three kings of different orient came to give Him gifts as well as shepherds who were keeping watch over their flocks that night. This is symbolic of Philippians 2:9-11 were every knee shall bow at the name of Jesus. Oh what a day that will be!
So as we celebrate in six days, let's be mindful of Jesus' birth. Let's remember how he came into this world: chosen by a virgin servant who put her faith in a mighty God. Let's remember that he was born in a barn and laid in a pig trough. Let's remember that he was holy and blameless even as a baby. I can get so wrapped up in the "red and green season" and forget to celebrate the most important birthday in history. Let's not put other things ahead of that birthday. Make it first priority.
"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave some comment love <3