
That's Tamanna Cornwall. She's the second youngest of four. Her family adopted her 2 years ago from India. She has a precious, strong accent and a lot of time I have no idea what she is saying. "The tun is bight". (the sun is bright) "what tolor is my ton?" "lead?" (what color is my tongue? red?) :) she's precious.
On the way home from school Friday, she asked me if I liked her hair. (it was wavy/curly that day) I told her yes, it's very pretty. To which she replied, "yots of people tay i'm bootiful. I yike being bootiful!" I was taken back by this little girl's honesty & self-indulgence.
"Tamanna, you are beautiful but so is everyone else, in their own special way that God made them." I said. She shook her head like "ya, i know."
I was convicted because I know I can get sucked into finding my worth in my appearance. There's a lady at our church that always tells me how adorable I am which is flattering but I don't tend to take compliments very humbly. To be honest, it goes to my head and my heart and I get stuck on this "looks" treadmill of being visually pleasing to others. This is the sin default button in my life mainly because of the environment I grew up in. Always feeling I needed to look good. To outdo the other girls. I was saddened when I heard Tamanna's sweet voice express her pleasure in being valued for her looks. I pray that she will learn that God looks at the heart and her eternal value is found in Him. I pray I will continue to learn the same thing.

This is Jack Cornwall. He does not like to be called pretty. That's a good start. :)
I'm probably to blame...I tell Tamanna she's beautiful quite often. Of course, I try to comment on her character, too! HEE HEE!
ReplyDeleteMy niece always says things like "I'm pretty." It cracks me up...I think kids are given so much attention, how can they help it:) I can relate to the looks thing...although I could quite honestly say Cora has sucked a lot of vanity out of me...maybe it's because I aged 10 years after having her...sleep deprivation will do that:) But, I still worry way too much about being fit, etc...and at the end of the day it's a waste of time.
ReplyDelete