Wednesday, December 15, 2010

It's a Wonderful Life & I have a wonderful husband


Last night, D.R. & I went downtown to the Springer Opera House to watch a showing of It's a Wonderful Life. It's one of our favorite Christmas movies and viewing it in an old opera theater is the only way to watch it. I have to say, I've watched that movie probably 7 times before and I've never been as touched as I was last night. I think it's easy to miss all the clever or important lines and sentimental looks when you're a teen.

I'm not married to a saint. D.R. has many flaws which he would admit but no one could ever say that my husband doesn't care about people and put others above himself. As I watched George Bailey help his younger brother out of the ice pond & keep the local drugist from going to jail for accidently putting poison in a child's prescription bottle & give up his dreams of college and world travel to take over the family bank/loan business; even skip his own honeymoon just to attend to a problem at the bank, I saw my husband's heart. So many times we have had plans that don't work out and D.R. handles them with such grace and trust that God knows best. He is the one who searches for charities to give to & started our Christmas tradition of filling two boxes for Samaritan's Purse. (one for a boy, one for a girl)

At one point in the movie, George is offered 8x the salary he is making if he'll work for Mr. Potter. (the mean, wealthy opposition in town/rival banker) George is tempted to take him up on it but to do so would mean Bailey Loan & Adjustments would close. He's captive to his conscience and rejects the offer with plenty of Bailey gumption. I cried at that part because I am not that way. I'm so lured by the riches of this world. I admit I feel comfortable with the salary God has provided us with through D.R.'s new job but I also feel like I deserve it. "Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. But you, [wo]man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith." I Timothy 6:9-12a Oh how quick my heart is to forget God's blessings. He's so good to me. D.R. is always reminding me of God's provision in uncertain times. It's something he mentions every time he prays. "And God thank you for always providing for us." I'm so thankful I have a thankful-hearted husband who seems material possessions for what they are....material, temporal. He would never champion me buying a new dress for each wedding we go to which is frustrating but sooo good for me. The truth is I could stand to give 1/2 dozen dresses away!

Hanging in the "Bailey Building and Loan" offices there was a picture that said, "The Only Thing You Can Take With You Are the Things that You Give Away." I pray I can live with this more in mind in 2011.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I get so caught up in "new" things and "nicer/better" things. I'm thankful our husbands are not that way! And this is such a sweet post about DR, glad y'all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good evening and good reason to think about what really matters...oh, I understand the new dress thing except now it's new dresses for Cora:)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some comment love <3