Monday, June 20, 2011

Caprese Chicken

This blog post is about food! One of my many loves. There's this salad I make all the time when I'm craving something really light and yummy. It's super simple and delicious. Caprese salad. 5 ingredient fix:fresh, sliced mozzarella, fresh basil, Roma tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil. Done. We eat a whole lot of chicken in the McNew house. It's my favorite meat and you can season it a million different ways. I have no clue why I didn't think to put the caprese ingredients over chicken. Well this weekend I remedied that. I made caprese chicken on Saturday night when we had our friends Eric & Bridget over. D.R. & Eric are great friends and meet regularly for Bible study together. Eric is a Srgt 1st Lieu. in the Army and a fairly new believer. It's been a sweet friendship for the guys. Eric teaches D.R. about the Army & D.R. teaches Eric about the Bible. Although, D.R. says he's learning just as much during their time together. Bridget is a precious friend. We hit it off when we moved here last Sept. She loves all the same things I do: eating healthy, drinking wine, cooking, running, fashion. We're soul-sisters really. She is a fairly new believer as well and has such a vulnerable, teachable heart. Her excitement for the gospel and Bible stories is so child-like and refreshing.

Bridget is gluten-intolerant so it was a task to find a totally gluten-free meal. Luckily Publix has a "guide to gluten-free" pamphlet that helped this sister out. I learned that I am so thankful I do not have celiacs disease (like poor Bridget) and that my body is able to digest gluten.

So here is the recipe:


chicken, basil, mozzarella, baby tomatoes, red onion, balsamic vinegar, evoo, salt & pepper

dice mozz, tomatoes, basil & onion

add extra virgin olive oil

add vinegar and mix to coat all ingredients

brush chicken with evoo, s&p and grill lightly for 4 minutes on each side. Finish it off in the oven; 375 for 15 minutes until cooked through.



Bridget brought dessert: healthy pear & apple cobbler. no sugar added surprisingly. she made the crust her own gluten-free way with minced almonds/pecans, cinnamon, un-sweetened coconut, dried dates & figs. a trail mix crust if you will. we had a scoop of vanilla ice cream with it to add some sugar :) it was delightful.

2 comments:

Leave some comment love <3