Thursday, February 7, 2013

Starting the Day Off Right

I invited a friend to breakfast this morning. One that I hadn't spent time with in a while. He is always available to have breakfast with me but I'm often too "busy". Many mornings I choose extra sleep, exercise, or an Army Wives episode over time with Him. He patiently waits for me.... desiring to teach me truth and listen to my heart.

This morning I sat down with my coffee, cereal and Bible and eagerly waited to hear from Him. Avoiding Facebook, Instagram, email and blogs, I typed in www.desiringgod.org to listen to John Piper's most recent uploaded sermon. It was titled "Sorrowful yet always rejoicing." (2 Corinthians 6:10) This has been DR & I's life verse since we've known each other. We both learned in college that being a Christian means you are acquainted with sorrow and joy simultaneously. We live in a sad, broken, dying world but knowing Christ brings immense, unspeakable joy in the midst of the most painful times. This is our hope in Christ. I have felt that hope again this morning. I know I won't stay on this good streak of meeting with my Savior first thing in the morning but I will strive to and ask Him to give me the desire to. "Going into your day before meeting with God is like going into battle unarmed." (J. Piper) I can have good days without reading my Bible. Heck, most days I don't read my Bible sadly... and there are good days. But then, there are joyful days. Those are the days when I have a deeper peace, a less anxious heart and a weaker desire to appease the world. I care less about the time I spend on me and more about what I can do for others. It's so freeing! Why can't I remember that feeling of freedom in Christ every morning!?! It would save me from a thousand small sins in my heart. God cares about our days- how we spend them. Where we focus our time and energy. We will serve what we love most. My soul's desire today is to serve Christ well as I babysit, as I clean my apartment, as I run with a friend later and as I have a meeting tonight. I want to do it all to His glory and I want to be open to Him changing my plans. After all.... He is the creator of the universe!!

Even during this lonely season I'm in, I know God is faithful. In fact, it's when I'm most sorrowful that I feel the deepest joy! Being apart from D.R. for two months now (to the day) has been the deepest pain I've ever experienced. My heart aches to be near my husband. But the Lord is with me. He has refreshed my soul this morning and I somehow feel swaddled and held by His strong, tender arms.

God cares what you're struggling with. He cares about your sadness. I pray that TODAY, you will allow Him to show you the joy that is found when we trust Him amidst our pain. He is completely satisfying!!

This poem was quoted in the sermon I listened to and it spoke so powerfully to me. Enjoy. Seek JOY today, friends!!!





God Moves In A Mysterious Way

God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea,
And rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never-failing skill
He treasures up His bright designs,
And works His sovereign will.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take,
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy, and shall break
In blessings on your head.

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the flower.

Blind unbelief is sure to err,
And scan his work in vain;
God is His own interpreter,
And He will make it plain.


William Cowper

2 comments:

  1. Time spent with God always leaves me feeling, "ah, this is where I need to be. This is who I need to be." It is strange how much we avoid communing with Him when it is what fulfills and satisfies the most. Glad you were comforted by His love this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful you are feeling joy during this hard, long time. I agree with Grace. Today was lacking because I missed my time with Him. The difference is palpable.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some comment love <3