
I hated to read in school. If ever there was an assignment to read and comprehend, I cringed and took as long as possible eating my after school snack. (yes, even in h.s. I had after school snacks, lay off) But since graduating, I have an insatiable hunger for reading. For a while it was Karen Kingsbury novels which are, although intriguing and tissue-worthy, also destructive emotionally for me; so I had to move on. My present delight is books about discovering sin. I know...whoo... sounds so happy and cheery. Well for me, books such as Galatians, Proverbs, Desiring God by John Piper and Growing your Faith by Jerry Bridges have been cornerstones of my Christian growth.
I just finished reading a book review on The Shack by William P. Young. I haven't read this book but now want to. I want to because I need to be more of a skeptic. I need to read books with a spirit of discernment knowing that authors are human and their work is not all God-breathed. The book review by Mat Alexander (link listed below) is one that capitalizes on the negatives or rather the doctrinal heresies of the novel. I think it's worth checking out if you are considering reading or have already read this book.
Danelle,
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting the link about this book. I have read part of it (Coop is not asleep yet) and plan to finish the document later. I am about halfway through the Shack myself and have had some reservations about some of it. Although I keep reminding myself that it is fiction, I still am questioning much of it even as fiction. So thanks for the post! It came at a useful time.