Tuesday, August 3, 2010

a weekend I will always remember

First, Friday night, a friend of ours, Scott Parks, threw his wife of 8 years a surprise anniversary party at the church: complete with a precious 20 minute slideshow, a reenactment of the "Forever" aisle procession (orchestrated by yours truly. go here to view the original), and a food & dancing reception in the fellowship hall. Annie, Scott's wife, always wished she could have danced at her wedding & she finally got to. She danced with her dad, Scott danced with his mom, and they had their first wedding dance together. It was so sweet and such a blast to boogie down with my church family!








Highlight of the night? Everyones face when Usher's "Yeah" was playing and it said "we wan't a lady in the street but a freak in the bed." Hilarious.

Saturday was National Day of Dance. Across the nation, free dance classes were being taught and I got the honor of teaching the classes at my studio Mobile. I taught the "nat'l dance day dance" choreographed by Tabitha & Napoleon Dumo of So You Think You Can Dance. Then I taught a jazz piece and a hip hop piece. It was great fun- very tiring- but great fun. My feet are still sore from dancing for four hours straight. I think I got a taste of the live of a SYTYCD dancer.



It was probably the most fun I've had as a dancer. I will always remember it!

Then Sunday after church, D.R. and I hopped in the truck and drove to Columbus to look for an apartment. We decided renting was a smarter choice since our house is still on the market and the possibility of deployment is great in the next year & 1/2. I love the area we'll be living in! Publix is 3 miles away! A beautiful park is about 5 miles away and downtown is about 10 miles away. Perfect location. I noticed a few PCA churches in the area close to our apartment also. It's weird to think that future best friends are roaming that city. I'm really excited....and I'm thankful that I'm excited about moving! We stayed with a fraternity buddy of D.R.'s, Jack Pyles (& his wife Sara not shown). That's their 8 mo. daughter Maggie.



I wanted to kidnap her. She smiled at me all through dinner. I was like, "stop melting my heart, little one." lol We ate Sunday night at The Cannon downtown. I had wonderful grilled grouper tacos with chips & homemade salsa. I'll be eating there again soon. After dinner, we drove around the city and saw as much as we could while it was still light. Monday morning we woke up, grabbed some oatmeal & coffee/tea from Starbucks.... by the way, i am in LOVE with the sbux oatmeal. Too bad it's like $8.50. Then we headed to look at apartments. The second one we visited was Greystone Farms and we fell in love. It was one of the few that allowed dogs over 30 lbs and really accomdates having a dog. It has a walking trail, fenced in for dogs. We got a 2 bed/2 bath with a sunroom in the front. It's adorable; please come visit! Then we went by a dance studio to check out the classes & prices. Then we drove around and looked at some parks- there are parks everywhere in Columbus and all of them have some sort of river/ creek/lake running through them. Champ & I will be spending lots of time outside! Then we headed downtown to get lunch. We ended up choosing "The Coffee Shop". It had wraps, paninis, soup & salad. I got 1/2 gourmet grilled cheese (made with provolone, feta, mozzarella, american cheese & greek dressing) & 1/2 greek salad. It was fantastic. D.R. got this tuscany sandwich that he loved. I'm tellin' ya, we had some good eats in Columbus. Very exciting. Although, we will not be eating out much while paying a mortgage & rent simultaneously. We finished the trip with a visit to Ft. Benning- the local army base. This was D.R.'s first time on an army base. Ironic, he's been on all other-type bases (air force, navy, coast guard). It was pretty neat but I have to say, I don't think I'd enjoy base life. I felt trapped inside a "gated city". I don't know. Maybe my heart will change on that some day. We've started watching "The Unit" and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite shows.
I'm glad to be back home in Mobile and enjoy it for the rest of August.

1 comment:

  1. oh wow! I am so thankful you had such a great time in Columbus! And Levi and I will definitely be visiting (once he is sleeping through the night, of course!)!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some comment love <3