Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mobile

This past weekend I went to Mobile, AL. It was such a wonderful two days filled with seeing old friends. God took us to Mobile, AL for 2.5 years of our marriage and looking back I am so thankful He did. The women I met there are precious to me. They are real. They are available and always filled with Christ's love. Those were hard years in our marriage with D.R. being in P.A. school. A lot of lonliness. A lot of meals eaten alone. A lot of feeling like just a roommate to my husband. So many women encouraged me and walked beside me during those years.

Saturday morning I went to a ladies brunch at Bette's house (one of the older ladies in the church- always a gracious hostess). It was just what my heart needed. Cinnamon rolls, hot coffee and time in the Word with 30 precious God-fearing women. We sat around in small groups on her back porch with the glorious breeze of 78* and discussed God's attributes, challenges He has brought into our lives in the past year, what we've learned from them, and what area of "His means of grace" we struggle with most. (praying/fasting, accountability, time in the Word, corporate worship, communion) Then we heard from a dear sister in Christ, Morgan Spivey. She spoke from Psalm 145 about God's greatness, goodness/righteousness and nearness. She also touched on the end of 1 John 5. It was awesome to sit and ponder those attributes of our God. I rarely sit and think about how great He is (v.3), how good & righteous He is (v.7), and how He is near at all times to those who call on Him in truth(v.18) I needed to be reminded of those things. I can so easily get stuck in "my" own little world and my problems, responsibilities & insecurities seem so big and overwhelming. I forget that I have a God, a Father who cares. Who loves me unconditionally and knows my stored up idols; who longs to replace them with Himself and fill me up with all that He is. I will always hold a very tender place in my heart for the women at Grace Community Church. They are a group of women, young and old, who are all willing to pour into other's lives and serve. God used so many of them to mold me, teach me, convict me and encourage me to be a stronger woman of the Lord- to love His Word, to love D.R. I am eternally grateful for their mentorship and friendship.
Sunday morning I got to fellowship again with that precious congregation of people. It was a somber day as I reflected on ten years ago and the attacks of 9/11. I got to eat lunch with my old boss/the pastor, Jim Bryars and his wife Becky and daughter Caroline. We sat at Newk's and caught up on the past year. It was lovely.
I'm thankful I got to spend time with great friends!

1 comment:

  1. So thankful you got to spend time with them, and that God used that time to bring you closer to Him!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some comment love <3