Monday, March 5, 2012

QT with D.R. & The Apostle Paul's "Secret Weapon"

We've had anything but quantities of time to spend together lately, but we have had quality time. D.R is in his second week of Army Airborne school. 12+ hour days involving 5+ hours of PT (physical training). He is tired to say the very least. We have reluctantly agreed to sleep in separate rooms on the week nights b/c he has to be up at 4:00 and report on post at 5:00. I on the other hand don't say hello to the world until 6:26 (I cannot wake up at a "5" or "0" -ended time- I'm weird). D.R. gets home between the hours of 4:45-6:30 depending, eats dinner, spends time with me and goes to bed at 8:30. He's doing so well. I'm so proud of him for sticking with all the active duty "Joes" who are in top army shape. Sick, sick shape. My husband is a stud- he doesn't know it though.

My heart was sad and I was an irritable person all week because of not being able to spend time with D.R. So when the weekend came, I was so ready to cozy up next to him and just be married. He took me on not one, but two dates this past weekend. Friday night we got home around the same time- him from post and me from running. Both sweaty and nasty- we took a shower and decided we wanted Mexican food. (It's usually Mexican or Italian for D.R. I usually want Asian or Greek but it was HIS choice this time.) All he wanted to do was unwind and eat chips, salsa & queso. Who doesn't?
As we munched on tortilla chips, we laughed as DR shared stories from his first week of "boot camp" and I shared "tales of a high school teenage girl" from my week. We talked about trips we want to take, about our parents and siblings, and about what God has taught us lately through time with our small group, time in His word, and in church. It filled my heart up to re-connect with my husband...my best friend, after a very distanced week. Saturday we slept in, well I slept in until 9:20. D.R. "slept in" until 7:30. Coffee was already going of course when I woke up and his sweet smile greeted me from the tan recliner. I was so glad it was Saturday and we had nothing else to do but be with each other. We ate cereal, drank our coffee and pondered the day. I knew D.R. needed to rest & not do any physical activity so I pushed my "I need to run" attitude aside (thank you, Lord) and decided time with D.R. was more important. I went grocery shopping and then we headed to a matinee movie: Safe House I felt like his girlfriend, butterflies in my stomach and clinging to his arm as we walked. It was such a special date. When we got out of the movie, it was dinner time and I fully expected us to go back to the house and eat one of the meals I had just bought. D.R. wanted to take me out again. :) I melted. "Ok!"

We ran across the street and put our name in at Olive Garden (Italian- hubs' other fav) 40 minute wait. So we ran to Bed, Bath & Beyond to pick up a wedding shower gift for a friend. D.R. went to Barnes & Noble to get some caffeine. We arrived back at Olive Garden and within 2 minutes, our buzzer went off. Perfect timing. The dining experience was lovely. We both opted for the $12.95 3-course meal. Salad, entree & mini dessert. Mmm perfect. Some wine with my meal would've been nice but I can't drink in public while working at a Christian school. I digress...

This past weekend I was reminded of some things- some things I often forget day in and day out. God's love. Look how He loves me! He gave me a husband; a husband who loves Christ. I was reminded of God's faithfulness. Look what He's done in my marriage! Anyone who knows me, knows that marriage has been really hard {sanctifying} for me (as it is for most people). I deeply love D.R. more each year and hate my sinful, selfish heart more. I was reminded of God's provision. Look what He allows us to enjoy! The meals and movie we enjoyed are simply blessings from both of us having jobs- jobs we like! God is so good. I am thankful for the quality time with my husband this weekend. I can often choose to put myself in this dark place and nothing around me is encouraging- nothing is good enough- nothing satisfies me. It's a terrible place to be. Choosing to be thankful changes everything. "Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." Ephesians 5:19b-20 My circumstances will not determine my joy/thankfulness. I know I'm not going to have two dates every weekend with my husband. I'm not going to have 3 hours of hang out time with D.R. every evening or perfect weather on my run days but I will have joy and I will have thankfulness. And that changes everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love <3