Tuesday, May 22, 2012
I'm a RUNNER
I never thought I would be able to say those words but there are so many reasons why running is my sport.
I was never the co-ordinated one when it came to ball sports. I never got picked first, second or third during PE, and I was intimidated at youth group when we played volleyball or kickball b/c I feared embarrassment (insecure? absolutely) It wasn't until college that I started running. I attended Samford in Birmingham and everyone seemed to run before class or after class, so.... I figured I'd run. Right across the street from Samford is a beautiful trail (Jemison) which runs through one of the most gorgeous parts of Alabama, Mountain Brook. There's even a spot where you run (or walk if you're cautious) over the stepping stones in a low creek. It's one of my favorite spots to run. I love visiting B'ham during our Nat'l Guard drill weekends and lacing up for a run. (Thank you Betty for the always-generous use of your Focus :))
Running is so many things to me. And almost every run is a little different from the last. Most days it's a time to have some "me" time and think through what's going on in my life. Other days it's simply just telling myself to "keep going" and pushing through the nagging pain. But even in those times, I still enjoy the run.... because I know I'm accomplishing something. I'm strengthening my cardiovascular system, my muscles, my lungs and my mood. Running only promises a reward equal to what you put in. You earn every mile and there is nothing like the feeling of getting over that beast of a hill or doing that extra lap.
I've run through every emotion: when I'm joyful, when I'm angry, when I'm sad, when I'm lonely, when I'm jealous, when I'm annoyed. And running is something you make time for even when your schedule is full. I used to plan my day and see if I could fit running in- now I schedule my quiet time, my husband time and my run first off- all other things are secondary. If you love something, you make time for it. Period. I don't run every day- I have to mentally give myself 1 or 2 days off but every day that I run is a good day.
I love the habitualness of gearing up and going for a run. Here's my preparation.
:I eat a small meal: a small bowl of cereal & almond milk or a granola bar and half a banana
:I pick out my running shorts or capri's first- I don't know why. I think b/c it's my favorite part of my running ensemble.
: I pick out my color sports bra (even if it's not going to show, it has to match)
: I pick out a tank top or t-shirt depending on the weather temp.
: I pick out my ankle socks & shoes (if it's a 3-4 miler I go with my Nike Free's. if it's longer than that, I go with my Nike Downshifter's)
: I put my hair up in a high to mid-high pony with a skinny black elastic headband to hold the whispies back.
: I put on plenty of deodorant and chap stick
: I turn my phone off to reset my +MapMyRun app b/c it's usually in crazyville from the days prior and will not pick up the GPS.
: I turn my phone back on and choose my Pandora station of preference - Right now it's Rihanna Pandora or Trip Lee Pandora.
: I do a little Shakira/Beyonce dance to pump me up and get me excited.
: I drive to a running trail OR run straight from my apt door.
I went to a class at our local running store last night. It was called 'Good Form Running'. I have recently had some hip pain and wondered what I was doing wrong. This class taught what kind of posture we should have, how to strike with our midfoot instead of our heel or forefoot, what our cadence should be (how many steps/min), and how to lean into the run from our ankles w/o bending at the waist. If you're a runner, you probably don't do all of these things perfectly. For me, I needed to learn to increase my cadence. I run at a cadence of about 150. I also needed to learn to run more "natural"; leading with my midfoot instead of my heel which is a huge injury preventer.
No matter where I am in life, running is something I can do for free. It requires no equipment other than proper shoes. It's as competitive as you want it to be (or not be). You set the pace. You set the mileage. You pick the scenery. It's a very "you-centered" sport. Which makes it oh so fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Running is one of my very favorite things in the whole world. Justin and I are currently working on proper form...and the whole 180 bpm. Needless to say, it is going to take a while to relearn how to run!
ReplyDeleteyou learn how to swim, you learn how to ride a bike but no one taught me how to run. hence muscle aches and injury. I'm soooo glad to know there is a correct form. Hope it's helped you and Justin!
ReplyDeleteThis just makes me want to run EVEN MORE!
ReplyDelete