Thursday, August 30, 2012

today's mercies are for today's troubles

I can definitely get anxious about the future. Lately, I've struggled with anxiety a good deal. Anxiety about being alone for 6+ months when D.R. deploys, anxiety about beginning a new career in personal training- will I get any clients? will I be helpful to them?, anxiety about starting up small group again- can I bear my soul to those people all over again this year? anxiety about thinking of being a parent one day- will I ruin my children, be cruel to my children, will I shut down when things get hard? Stop Danelle. Today has enough trouble of it's own. I forget that God has told me He will never give me more than His grace will sustain me with. God was so sweet to me this afternoon. I opened "A Godward Life" by John Piper (one of my favorite devotional books) to one titled, "Today's Mercies for Today's Troubles"..... Ok, Father I'm being still and listening... "Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble" (author's translation of Matthew 6:34) Part of saving faith is the assurance that you will have faith tomorrow. Trusting Christ today includes trusting him to give you tomorrow's trust when tomorrow comes. Often we feel today like our reservoir of strength is not going to last for another day. The fact is, it won't. I know I feel this way mid-run. Especially on a long run, say a 12 miler. After 6 or 7 miles I think, "how am I going to run 12 miles again in two days?" But our reservoir is only full for today. Tomorrow it will be filled again- for that day. There's an old Swedish hymn, "As your days, so shall your strength be." is based on Deuteronomy 33:25 and it gives us this assurance that God will give the proportionate mercies each day. "Day by day and with each passing moment, strength I find to meet my trials here; Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment, I've no cause for worry or for fear. He whose heart is kind beyond all measure Gives unto each day what he deems best; Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure, mingling toil with peace and rest." I tend to despair when I think that I may have to bear tomorrow's load on today's resources. God wants me and you to know that we won't. Today's mercies are for today's troubles. Tomorrow's mercies are for tomorrow's troubles. The manna in the wilderness was given one day at a time. There was no storing up. That is the way we must depend on God's mercy. You do not receive today the strength to bear tomorrow's burdens. You are given mercies today for today's troubles. Tomorrow the mercies will be new!! "God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord." (1 Corinthians 1:9) "Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will act!" (1 Thessalonians 5:24 author's translation)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love <3