So, some things I really love about living in Columbus, GA are:
the weather! no more humidity like in West Palm & Mobile! My hair dries almost pin straight and I hardly have to use the blowdryer or straightener. This makes me very happy. I grew up ALWAYS having to use hairdryer, straightener, and iron....yes iron, to make my hair straight. I wasn't confident enough to walk out of the house with natural-dried hair because to me it resembled something close to 5th-grade "prom" hair.
the parks and running/bike trails. There are two really great trails that D.R. & I have biked 3-4x/wk. One is "Rails to Trails" (they paved over a railroad that isn't used anymore.) It starts at Cooper Creek Park which is 5 mi from our apt and takes you throughout midtown, by Columbus State(which is beautiful), and into downtown. Then there's the riverwalk trail. An 8 mi (one way) stretch right on the river. So serene and fun to ride! It's been really fun to pick up a hobby with D.R. Something we both look forward to on his days off. I would upload a picture of us on our bikes but we are without a camera right now. :(
the coffee shops. Not only do they have my favorite coffee in the world here, DD, but they have this place called Fountain City Coffee which has a flavor called toasted praline decaf. It's heaven. Plus they have the most delicious smoothies and wraps. It's my go-to treat place.
we're an hour and 15 minutes from Atlanta. Which means several things: a day visit to Ikea or Urban Outfitters is possible any day, flying anywhere is cheaper and is DIRECT!! I cannot tell you how happy this makes me. I love to fly but hate connections. Braves games, broadway shows, excellent shopping, concerts, Six Flags. I love being back near a big city that offers so much.
there are so many young couples/families. we keep hearing that Columbus is a great place to live when you're married and a great place to raise children but a horrible place to meet someone if you're single. Well, we got here at the right time in life I guess. It's true though, God has blessed us already with so many great new friends. We joined a small group of 25 people- mostly couples without children. We're going through a book called "holiness by grace" -bryan chapell. I'm very thankful for God's kind provision of new believing friends.
And a few of my favorites lately are:

Zumba: Ditch the workout. Join the party! I can't get enough. My secret booty-dancing parties that I have alone in my house are now shared with about 150 sweaty women at the local YMCA. It's an amazing workout and seriously so much fun.

Giada at Home: one of my favorite cooks on t.v. Plus the fact that she remains so slim and healthy motivates me to cook well and be in shape. Her meals are not always super cheap but they are always delicious. Go ahead and stock your fridge with fennel,lemons, fresh thyme & mint, pancetta, and mascarpone cheese (i know these are all the usually buys anyways right? lol) because those are guaranteed Giada meal ingredients.

The Unit: this show has quickly become one of D.R. and mine's favorites. It's similar to 24 which went off air in May :( and depicts the realities of army life.

Radical: a book by pastor of The Church at Brook Hills in Birmingham, AL: David Platt. This book has shown me my gluttonous desire for more "stuff" and the eternal destruction it will have on my soul. If you are not changed by this book, you probably need to examine your love for God & how His Word calls us to live.
That is all for now I guess.
Giada = dangerous. I need to be like you and start branching out with the recipes I use. And when I come to Columbus I want to go to that coffee shop! I am thankful you and DR have found such a fun hobby to do together. Glad you are liking columbus!
ReplyDelete