There are a few things I can always count on when we go to my hometown. 1.) There is always lots of what I call "God-talk". Between mom, dad, Kirstie, Aaron, D.R., Buddy and I there is a lot of discussion of the Bible, of books we've been reading, of theology, of sermons we've heard recently or just plain giving thanks for this or that. It is so encouraging to be around people who want to talk about the goodness and justice of God. I always learn a lot. The second thing I can always count on is 2.) capturing moments on camera. I look forward to all the great photos my dad will take when we're together. He's the reason I remember so much of my childhood. There are literally....and I'm not kidding....... 36 VHS videos 2hr long each of "Danelle & Kirstie" videos. Every birthday, every Christmas, every recital or cheerleading event, every vacation,... is captured on video. It's a treasure. I always watch at least one "Danelle & Kirstie" when I go home. (poor D.R. and now Aaron) Kirstie & I love them!!! They are hilarious. We love to reminisce. The third thing I can always count on is lots of love and affection. My family will hug the life out of you. It's just how we express our gratitude or affection. We're not afraid to hug a waitress or pastor or nail salon person for their service. LOL (especially not Granny) Home is a treasure. I'm thankful we got to go for a few days.
Tuesday was my 27th birthday and I felt very celebrated. D.R. bought us tickets to see Wicked in Atlanta in September. I've been talking about Wicked for a long time and I am soooooo excited to see it in a few months! My family got me a Carvel ice cream cake (per my humble request). It was divine! The perfect summer birthday treat. My favorite part is the crunchy chocolately bits in the center! yum! They also got me a very pretty Brighton belt, a locket with our picture in it and helped pay our airfare.
My husband. He's great. I feel so immensely thankful for him lately. He has been so thoughtful, kind and loving in the last year and our marriage is so much richer because of it. (thank you Lord) He knows how much I love cards so he always gets one for me. I have to share this one with you. It made me cry instantly.

and the inside

You probably can't read his writing but he says, "I have grown to love you more over the years-more love as I have been matured by God. When I think of you, I am most thankful. God has blessed me with a smart, kind, thoughtful, and beautiful wife that can only be covered up, masked, or forgotten by sin. I commit to work harder on our marriage than the last year so that our love is stronger next year. I love you, D.R."
He's right, only sin can make us forget how wonderful our spouse is.
Anyways, I hope it was a great 4th for everyone! We are so blessed to live in the US of A!
Glad you were able to spend time with your family!
ReplyDelete