Wednesday, May 2, 2012

one-anothering

or in other words, small group/community group/cell group/Wednesday night fellowship. Whatever you call it at your church, it's a crucial part of a believer's life. Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another —and all the more as you see the Day approaching. I never knew how much I needed other men & women believers in my life until I had them. Back when we lived in Mobile, AL we got involved in our first small group (then called community group). We met on Sunday evenings at Jody & Jim Ruble's home- discussed a book of the Bible, or the sermon and ate dinner together. Here in Columbus, the Lord has been good to put us in another small group. We meet on Wednesday nights at Zach & Chelsey Smith's house. Because it's the middle of the work week, we meet a little later, at 7- eat some snacks, drink some coffee, sing some hymns and discuss a lesson. Right now we're in I & II Timothy. These people are my Columbus family. They know me. Over the past year, I've "let them in" on my struggles and my victories. They have laughed, cried, rejoiced and been sorrowful with me. They have pet-sitted Champ, celebrated birthdays, and eaten meals at our apartment. They have encouraged me in my marriage and convicted me of my persistent idols. They are true friends. Even more special, the majority of the people in my small group also volunteer with our youth at church. So we get to "labor" and minister to the students together on Sunday mornings & evenings. Being far from my family since taking off for college back in 2004, I've had to find new, spiritual families to be adopted into. And God is always faithful to do so in each place we live. I don't fear moving, although I would be heart-broken if God called us to do so. I know God is everywhere and so are His people. We said goodbye to one of our "own" a few weeks ago. Caleb came to Columbus a little over a year ago with the Army. He knew his time here would be short but that didn't stop him from jumping right in to ministry. He got involved serving with the youth and joined our small group. He's been a huge influence on our students to "not sit around but have faith WITH good works". He is missed but I know he will continue Kingdom work where God has called him.
We also recently joined our church. We went through the Inquirer's Class back in October but have finally met with the elders and are now official members of St. Andrews Presbyterian Church. What a joy! I love my church body! For so many reasons. I feel very blessed to be a part of this group of saints.

2 comments:

  1. I agree...community is so important in a believers life. And we are desperately missing it here in Vero. We are struggling to find good fellowship and like minded people, and once you have experienced it, it doesn't go unnoticed when it is lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw Jen. I will pray you and Brandon find good fellowship. Boy were we spoiled in Mobile, huh? God IS faithful and so I pray He will surround you with fellow saints to share life with. Love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some comment love <3