I think we as women think we're alone. I'm speaking to women, about women because that mostly who reads my blog. I think we sit and ponder things over and over that we aren't good at or shouldn't have done or wish no one knew about us when in reality, we all experience the exact same things.
In fact, I'm sure this is true. About 4 months ago, I had two girl friends from small group over for a movie & wine night. We didn't end up watching the movie. Instead we all shared a current struggle that we'd been having: desiring deeper relationships and feeling worthless (all three of us were unemployed at the time) Within minutes we were crying and laughing about how we were going through the same exact emotions but none of us wanted to share it with anyone because of insecurity. Boy are we insecure.
I often think I'm the only strange girl that, for example, gathers her shed hair up on the bathtub wall at the end of each shower, or doesn't always shower after a hard workout (I know, I know)or sings Taylor Swift's songs really loud in the car or looks back at her Instagram photos almost daily to reminisce.
Can I get personal? Sorry for any dudes that read this. I read recently from an M.D. gastroenterologist at the Mayo clinic that gum and especially sugar free gum can cause or exacerbate digestive distress. I have issues in this area for sure. Poor hubs. This M.D. says that the artificial sweeteners mannitol, sorbitol and xylitol are not absorbed by the intestines, which can lead to bloating as well as stomach upset and diarrhea." Chewing gum inadvertently makes you swallow air, which can make you gassy. I have laid off the artificial sweeteners in the last week and I can already tell a difference! This is legit! It's hard though. I do like my Dt. Pepsi, sugarfree gum, and splenda in my coffee. But I like a healthy digestive tract better! amen. Anyone else have this issue?
How about cleaning off the cutting board? EVERY time you slice two pieces of apple? are you kidding me? no, I do not do it. a little bacteria ain't gonna hurt no one. Am I normal here too?
Can anyone just eat one frozen Thin Mint cookie at a time? This girl says no.
How about feeling pressured to stray from your normal way of eating when you're out with friends. Example, if you typically eat healthy and everyone around you is ordering the fried, stuffed, bacon wrapped ________ for starters with the prime rib, garlic mashed potatoes and wedge "salad", do you feel like you shouldn't be "the healthy prude" who gets a salad or grilled chicken and veggies?
Or if you typically use eating out as a "no rules" thing and order whatever you want but you're with "oh I'll have the side salad with balsamic vinegar and chicken cooked in PAM spray" friends, do you hate yourself for ordering like a "fatty"? I know I can be influenced for sure. I'm getting better about just ordering for me and not for what other people think. Cause I'm the one eating it, right?
Anyways, spring has sprung in Columbus, GA, kindof. Do you wear white pants all year long? I do. I totally don't stick to that after Easter stuff.
I set my alarm to an odd time. Like 7:21. I don't know why, I don't like to wake up to "0" or "5" ending numbers. Weird.
If I ride 26.2 miles on my bike can I say I did a marathon? I think that'd be sweet. I'd buy the sticker.
I like books about theology, apologetics and the facets of God. I rarely read a fiction book or biography. Just don't like em as much. Except the Hunger Games. What's your favorite book currently?
I have passed by many a penny without picking it up. (dimes & quarters, no) But then, every time, I think "that's money. why didn't I pick it up?" I'm gonna change that.
I'm trying to cut back on caffeine but it is sooo hard. I'm only drinking one 8 oz cup in the morning. By 2:30, I'm desiring another cup but I've resisted almost completely since the new year. Caffeine & sugar are stinkin hard to stay away from!
I love to clean out my drawers but then it takes me forever to take the stuff to Plato's Closet or Goodwill. It will sit in a corner for weeks, even months. Sad.
I keep wanting to print some of my instagram and facebook pics but haven't sat down and signed up for Mpix to order some prints. Has anyone else used a program to do this that they recommend? I want printed photos. What if Facebook crashes one day? That's a heck of a lotta memories POOF gone!
I love food blogs and food shows but I cannot watch them late at night or I will clean out my pantry. I watch them at dinner time, while I'm eating. What's your favorite food blog or food show? Have you made any of their recipes?
Well that's enough random thoughts for one post. Happy Tuesday ya'll!
Wow. That's a lot to respond to ;)
ReplyDeleteI do the shower/hair thing. Better on the wall than blocking the drain! I do sing aloud in my car, but not Taylor Swift. I finally think I have outgrown her. One of the big problems coming home is, I came from a life (Bham) where everyone was so open ALL the time, and nothing was held back. And now we are here, in a culture where "every one is perfect." And I've found the opposite is true. I am so ready to share share share, and everyone around me is clammed up, living the "put together life" which we all know is a bunch of bull. So... Speaking of honest, I'm surprised someone who strives to be as healthy as you do was even eating any artificial sugars at all! Much better for you (for many reasons) to put a tiny bit of real sugar in your coffee than a packet of fake! And why are you cutting back to only one cup of coffee a day? As for eating out, I order what I want, and try to be medium. Choose veggies over fries, but not worry if my meal is not less than 500 calories, and actually get annoyed at the overly healthy one (sorry...). As for reading, right now I am reading Bound Together, a book about living in community (as it is something I am CRAVING right now) and it is amazing. I read it whenever I have a couple of minutes, it's in my purse wherever I go. AS for girl scout cookies, I actually ordered a TON from a girl who needed to sell hers and then ended up giving away all the boxes. Except the one I absolutely devoured (which is why I gave the rest all away). I use walgreens.com app to print the pictures off my iphone camera roll, not necessarily instagram or facebook. And definitely Pioneer Woman and Carnivore, Michael Symon's cookbook. PW is definitely a sparingly thing to cook, like for guests, but is ALWAYS good and comforting home food. Symon is a little more fancy/gourmet and SO GOOD and full of flavor. Ok. I think I got personal right back at ya :)
Betty! I love it! Love your honesty. I am using Liquid stevia now in my coffee. Kirst bought it for me. $10 from Whole Foods but so worth it. I agree,no one is as put together as they seem. We need e/o to be real. I'm gonna look up that community book. Sounds great! Have y'all settled on a church yet? Found a small group. I know u must miss bham friends. thanks for the Walmart app info. I'll have to look into that! Love Ree!!! I look her cooking. I keep saying in gonna make her iced coffee but I haven't yet. Um, I miss you. K, I'm done.
ReplyDelete