Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Razors, Almond Milk & James 4

So... my husband shaved his head. Yep, Kaci, he looks like Jay now. I'm not used to it yet. It's so....ARMY. :) But hair doesn't make the man and I love him and desire him just the same- full head of hair or shiny top. We'll be that old couple where he is bald and I'm one big wrinkle. Bring it.

So that's the razor part of my post. Oh and also related, I shaved my legs for the first time in.... quite a while. (I shave my arm pits regularly, no worries)

But I mean, really...

1. It's winter.

2. My husband is in Afghanistan.

3. I could care less.

I feel like I wanna go out on the town with my freshly shaven legs. Except the man I wanna stroll along the sidewalk with is 1,000s of miles away. :(

We are doing well. It's been almost a full 3 months apart from each other and God has used this time to make us truly thankful for what we have in the other. Champ got up in the recliner the other night. Just hopped up and plopped down. That's DR's seat. It was sad. A buddy of ours returned from Afghanistan a couple of weeks ago and him and his wife were in church today. I got a pit in my stomach when they walked in. It hurt bad to not have DR sitting in church with me. We sang one of my favorite songs, "Be Still My Soul". It always, always makes me cry. The words are so sobering.Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side. Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain. Leave to thy God to order and provide; In every change, He faithful will remain. Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend through thorny ways leads to a joyful end." They make you really think about what's important in this life and remember that we are made for the next life- the full, abundant, sin-free life. I can't imagine a day when I no longer get impatient behind the wheel or judgmental at the gym. Where every kind word will have 100% pure motive behind it. Nothing tainted by selfish thoughts. Only unadulterated joy and praise lived out because of our glorification and oneness with Jesus! Sigh.... A beautiful longing.


I have an unhealthy obsession with almond milk. I drink it like water; in my cereal, in a glass, in shakes, in my egg whites, in baking, in oatmeal, in sauces, in coffee, in hot tea. I stinkin love that stuff. If you haven't tried it, you must give it a shot. It's more pricey than regular milk but so much tastier- and better for you!!

I've been doing so much better in my struggle with weight/running. I haven't run more than 5 miles in the last two weeks and those have been walk/runs. I've gained a few pounds and honestly the Lord has quenched the desire to stay 105 "fit". Fit is not a number on a scale. That's still a struggle. I am stronger than ever. I am doing a lot of different work-outs. Constantly confusing my muscles so as to gain strength and tone. A mix of exercises have taken the place of long-distance running, for now.

I was reading James 4 today and of course, like all of God's Word, it was applicable to what I'm going through right now.

"What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”? But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded." James 4:1-8

I pray. I pray quite often actually. I ask the Lord for all kinds of things. But this verse reminds me that there is a wrong way to pray. I cannot ask God to give me what I want- especially when I know that what I want is an idol in my heart. That serving two masters thing doesn't work. He is a jealous God and will not allow competition. Thankfully. I have earnestly asked the Lord to take the desire to be "fit" (my twisted definition) and to be fertile at the same time. He is graciously answering the first and I'm so grateful. I put my scale on the top shelf of my closet instead of next to my toilet. Hopefully this will help me a great deal. I like to eat healthy and I like to eat chocolate everyday. It's a balance. Being unaware of my weight is freeing. I can enjoy food and enjoy exercise so much more!

Questions:

What's a food/drink you must have every single day?


What's your favorite cardio workout?


Is there something in your life that you have been selfishly asking God for?


2 comments:

  1. That hymn. Oh that hymn. "bear patiently the cross"
    1. Water and cookies. My own (opposite of you) demon I am working on currently.
    2. It's a biggest loser cardio DVD. Mainly because I love Bob, he's so funny in this one, and I like working out with all the fatties, it makes me feel better when they are heaving and sighing like me.
    3. A house. A big fancy house. Because we don't need one and because I'm asking out of ungratefulness and jealousy from what others have, not because we honestly NEED one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Betty! I'd love our own house too.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some comment love <3